Surfers Paradise Accessible Beach Mats
Creating an Accessible Summer
We have partnered with Surfers Paradise Surf Life Saving Club to introduce AccessMats and Beach Wheelchairs to Surfers Paradise Beach this Summer. The AccessMat and wheelchair are designed to allow people of all abilities to enjoy our Gold Coast Beaches
The AccessMat and Beach wheelchair will be available to book every Saturday from 8:45am - 3:30pm starting October 2019 through to Early May 2020 free of charge. Bookings are essential and can be done through the online booking form.
Volunteering Gold Coast is devoted to eradicating the barriers which exist for people with a disability; so in addition to ensuring that the AccessMats and Beach Wheelchairs are accessible, we can also provide transport to get to and from the beach, and trained staff to provide support. Contact us to find out more.
Using the AccessMat and Beach Wheelchair
The AccessMat is a long sturdy mat that is rolled out onto soft sand providing a smooth surface for people who use a wheelchair or who have difficulty walking.
Volunteering Gold Coast and Surfers Paradise SLSC are committed to ensuring that everyone has access to the facilities in a safe manner, so the following rules apply when booking the AccessMat and Beach Wheelchair:
- The AccessMat is to be booked one day prior for set up.
- The AccessMat is available on Saturdays only from 8:45am - 3:30pm. The maximum booking time for each user is 2 hours.
- The volunteers on duty will determine appropriate weather conditions for use.
- A support person or carer must be present to assist the user at all times. Contact Volunteering Gold Coast if you would like us to arrange transport and/or other support for your use of the facilities - click here
- The user and support person has the responsibility to look after the Mobi Mat when in use.
- The user and/or support person must read and sign the Waiver of Liability and Rules of Use before using the AccessMat and Beach Wheelchair.
- When using the AccessMat and Beach Wheelchairs a demonstration will be provided to you by one of volunteers on duty.
Parking and Access to Restrooms
Accessible parking is located along the Esplanade as well as designated car parks in Surfers Paradise.
Accessible toilets are located inside Surfers Paradise SLSC, inside the Paradise Centre and along the Esplanade.
The two maps on the right will give you a guide of where the accessible parking and toilets are located.
Volunteering Opportunities Available
Volunteering Gold Coast believes that through volunteerism, anything is possible. We invite all people across the Gold Coast to donate your time and your talents to enable all people, regardless of their abilities or disabilities, to access our beaches. Your commitment will ensure that this project is sustainable and creates significant social impact.
Volunteers will receive onsite training, a uniform, a free meal during their shift, a certificate of appreciation and will be given honorary membership to Surfers Paradise Surf Life Saving Club.
If you are interested in helping out as a volunteer for the summer months click on the position you are interested in and apply now!